Old April 19th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Multi-band dipole question

You won't need much of an impedance transformation, so a 1:1 "current"
balun (common mode choke) is appropriate. A coil of coax makes a broadly
resonant circuit for currents on the outside, so acts as a current balun
over a fairly wide range of frequencies. My experiments show a
reasonable impedance over about a 3:1 or so frequency range. To be
effective over a wider bandwidth, you'll need a couple of different
sized coils, or a balun using ferrite, which is inherently broad banded.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

wrote:
Wow! Thanks for so many replies so quickly. I think I will go with a
"fan" design rather than parallel.
Another question though. What balun should I use? 1:1? 2:1? 4:1?
How do I know which?
Or can I just do the "coil the coax" thing...?

Thanks

Mike
KD7VRG