Old April 20th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Independence of waves

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 05:40:13 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

Richard Clark wrote in
:
Why would you think that superposition fails for this?

Richard, I don't... but the failure was to think that such an experiment
indicated that the two interfering waves could be isolated at a point.

Hi Owen,

I presume all of this flows from your statement:
A practical example of this is that an omni directional receiving antenna
may be located at a point where a direct wave and a reflected wave result
in very low received power at the antenna, whereas a directional antenna
that favours one or other of the waves will result in higher received
power. This indicates that both waves are independent and available to
the receiving antenna, the waves do not cancel in space, but rather the
superposition occurs in the antenna.

As Roy did not quote any of your material, I must presume this. Am I
correct?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC