Old April 22nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tester Tester is offline

Default Heard on BBC...

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:56:00 -0500, "Chas.Chan"
wrote:

Since when do State legislators run the U.S. Federal Government?

It's a non-binding resolution by one house of the Vermont Legislature
(the state senate)

http://www.reformer.com/ci_5719841

(I rather wonder why any state needs a bicameral legislature. Nebraska
only has one house. At one time, Alpine County [which today has about
1200 people] and Los Angeles County each sent one senator to
Sacramento but the U.S. Supremes killed that.))

Only the U.S. House of Representatives can impeach a U.S. official and
the trial is held by the Senate with the Chief Justice presiding.

There are two cases in which the states can have control over the
Federal Government.

1) This has never been done but a constituional convention can be
called by 2/3 of the state legislators.

2) A constituional amendment needs to be ratified by 3/4 of the state
legislatures or by 3/4 of state conventions.

Before 1913 and the passing of the 17th amendment the U.S. Senate was
elected by state legislatures. If a U.S. senator (and I believe
representative but that's only a 2 year term) leaves office then the
governor appoints a replacement for the rest of the term.
..