Old April 22nd 07, 10:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Wimpie Wimpie is offline

Default A Kenwood HF rig's "real" frequency in CW

On 22 abr, 20:24, billcalley wrote:
Hi All,

This may sound like a very silly question, but what is the "true"
frequency of, lets say, a Kenwood TS-530S? What I mean is, when it is
said that a particular CW calling frequency is exactly "7.040MHz",
then should I set the TS-530S' frequency display to 7.040MHz (in
receive mode), or to 7.0392MHz (for a display of 7.040MHz during
transmit) to be spot-on a designated Calling Frequency? I obviously
would like to make 100% sure that I'm exactly on frequency, and not
off by 800Hz, when monitoring for any CQs!

Thanks for any clarification,

-Bill

Hi Bill,

It sounds silly, but it isn't.

I don't know the answer with high confidence, but maybe I can help you
to get it.

I "believe" that when you tune in to a station with 800 Hz beat, you
will transmit on exactly the same frequency as the station that you
are listening to. Make sure the RIT is in the middle or off.

You can check it yourself.
Do you have a separate frequency counter (or other receiver)? If so,
try to tune to a source with a known frequency (with the TS530S, for
example a broadcast station or). Now you can compare the actual
frequency with the reading on the TS530S and you know the difference
in reading and actual transmitting frequency of other station.

Now the transmitting case
Press the key (check frequency in use or use dummy load) and read the
frequency from the counter, or tune with the other receiver to find
out the difference in the transmitting frequency of the other station
and your frequency.

I hope this will help you a bit.

I had several problems with adjusting old equipment to make sure that
SSB receive and transmit (carrier) frequencies are the same.

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS