Old April 23rd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
[email protected] goog49@cox.net is offline

Default APRS ???

On Apr 21, 6:29 pm, Joseph Fenn wrote:
I have used Packet for years with MAARS/AARS/ etc. But this island
ham digital network called "APRS" has a totally different cmd
structure and very limited HELP function. It also says it suports
all packet cmds (but has addnl cmds). I am unable to connect to
The big island via the MAUI alias. Apparently APRS and
THE NET are both involved. I was able to Connect to MAUI
(alias for callsign) but not able to go from DIGI to DIGI
I/E hop thru MAUI to MLOA. IN other words just could'nt use
WW packet structured cmds by hopping from One Mt to another MT.
Normally would use this approach
C:MLOA via MAUI (aliases for jump thru the MAUI digi to MLOA digi
as I just says unable.
Joe

* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *

google for APRS. It's an unproto mode. You don't connect, just fire
packets out into space. It's mostly a position reporting mode, but it
does have a message feature. The main drawback, compared to
conventional packet, is it's entirely "fire and forget". If the
packets miss the mark, there's no re-transmit.