Old April 23rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
billcalley billcalley is offline

Default A Kenwood HF rig's "real" frequency in CW

On Apr 22, 9:33 pm, "Bryan" wrote:
billcalley wrote:
Cool Dee -- thanks for clarifying that! It was confusing the death
out of me (I've been on the wrong darn frequency all this time too!).

I didn't see your original post on my Google newsreader under
'sci.electronics.design' because, for whatever weird Google reason,
your response didn't cross-post).

Thanks again!

-Bill

Hi Bill,

You can think of the displayed receive signal as that of a signal that is
*zero-beat*. In CW mode, the pitch increases as you tune up-frequency from
the zero-beat frequency. 800Hz is the defacto "standard" for Morse, which is
the difference in your rig's carrier oscillator frequencies for receive and
transmit. While in a QSO, if you find a different pitch more acceptable,
use your RIT (and IF Shift if necessary and so-equipped). RIT keeps QSOs
from walking up/down the band. hi!
As noted above, the carrier oscillator frequencies should be different
between receive and transmit, but in *only* CW mode. In all other modes
(LSB, USB, AM, FM), they should be the same between rx & tx.

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

PS: Dee's response wasn't crossposted to sci.electronics.design.

Thanks for the info, Bryan!

73,

-Bill