Old April 24th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cato Cato is offline

Default Cheap beginner radio

On Apr 23, 6:56 pm, "Denny \"Smitty\" Schmidt"
wrote:
Are there any decent SW receivers in the hundred dollar range? What about
the Grundig s350?
Thanks
Smitty

Sony 7600GR, Eton E100/ Grundig G100, Eton E5/Grundig
G5, Kaito KA1101/Degen DE1101,
Kaito KA1102/Degen DE1102. There are other radios that some people
here might recommend. All are good radios, some better then others. It
depends on your needs, and your listening habits, what you will be
listening to, etc. You will find some people here on this list
defending one over the other with heated passion.

Grundig S350? Good for casual listening. Sound is
somewhat better due to a larger speaker then many other radios.
However, it can drift and need retuning. There are good things about
it, but some other things that can be criticised. It depends on what
kind of listening you are doing and where you are using the radio. You
might prefer the Grundig S350DL, an improved version of the S350. Some
people like it, some don't.
A lot more info about the 350 models, and the other radios I
mentioned above can be found at the websites I mention below.
My suggestion is to buy a copy of Passport to World Band Radio
and read the reviews, and look at the reviews on Radio Intel at
http://www.radiointel.com/ and the reviews at eHam ......
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8
Best of luck,
Cato