Old October 30th 03, 10:46 PM
Dave Platt

I need an antenna that will get me on the channels above 27.3. My Galaxy
goes to 32 mhz.

Simply shorten your coax 2.01734695436248538129 feet.

An even easier method for achieving a similar result is to simply
modify the coax cable a bit, so as to change the dielectric constant
of a small length of the cable's internal insulation. This generates
an impedance "bump" which acts as a short matching section, tuning out
the higher SWR which results if you try to "push" an antenna beyond
its normal resonant frequency range.

The DC can best be modified by displacing a small amount of the
insulation to the side. Simply measure back along the cable from the
antenna approximately 1/4 electrical wavelength, and then drive a
small nail straight through the center of the coax - it must penetrate
the center conductor, and (ideally) the braid/shield on both sides of
the cable. Typically, a 1-penny nail is of the correct length and
diameter. For small-diameter cable, try a carpet tack.

Test the freeband transmitter's SWR and see how well it transmits.
You might find it necessary to adjust the cable at several points, a
few inches on either side of the quarter-wave-away-from-the-antenna
point to get the best match.

I have not actually tested this procedure with a Galaxy radio - your
results may differ, and (as with any homebrew electronics or antenna
modifications) they're done entirely at your own risk.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO