Old April 25th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3... ve3... is offline

Default Cheap beginner radio

On Apr 23, 9:56 pm, "Denny \"Smitty\" Schmidt"
wrote:
Are there any decent SW receivers in the hundred dollar range? What about
the Grundig s350?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The Grundig s350, while condemned by the purists, is not totally
awful. I have had one for years and it is still regularly in use. It
has much more audio output than the current crop of portables and it
is easy to carry about because of its sturdy handle. I use it when the
signals are good and I am doing something around the house. Its
sensitivity on AM, FM, and SW is pretty good although it runs out of
audio on weak signals.
I have had no reliability problems, having knocked it about a bit,
but I notice that the volume control is starting to scratch a little.
The main problem with the s350 is the drift which makes retuning
necessary until it settles down. However, I haven't anything else in
my collection of radios that sounds so good and transports so easily.
The GE Superradio II sounds much better, but doesn't have SW.
The Sony SW 7600G is a much better receiver, but doesn't have the
volume.
The Zenith 3000 sound good, but is far too heavy to lug around.

The bottom line is that there is no one radio that is best for all
situations.
but if I could only have one radio, I would pick the Sony. If I were
on a tight budget, I would pick the Eton E10 which has proven to be a
good radio with lots of features. The s350 is a good value also.