Old April 26th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default 60 Days Since Code Test Cessation Compared

AF6AY wrote:

The overall losses of all licensees (all classes including Club and
Grace
Period) over the previous two years were 11,143 [11.528]. This is
approximately the same for each period.

73, Len AF6AY

The data is most likely skewed because of inherent errors in the
"license census" tally.

These errors are, again, most likely because of the "baby boom bubble"
which is working its' way through the system (large numbers of amateurs
expiring and leaving the planet.)

And, unless the death of an amateur is reported to the FCC, it can take
a bit for the lost license (or deceased ham) to show up (lag time.)

Frankly, as under-reported as the cessation of CW testing is, I am
surprised there has been the increase in new licenses we are seeing.

Perhaps we will get lucky and something not even on our "radar screens"
will happen and promote untold new numbers of hams ... the
intellectual/college crowd might be made licensees if the present image
of amateur radio is changed and somehow made to relate to the
intellectually gifted/inclined.

A few articles in computer/technology magazines describing projects
which meld computers (both hardware and software based) with amateur
communications certainly would not hurt ...

Regards,
JS