Old April 27th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default 10m ground wave expectations

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

75 miles is a bad distance for 10M I have almost no cotacts at that range.
The few occured while doing mountain toping.. Great time to upgrade just get
online and keep taking practice test until you pass.