Old April 27th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Rotational speed

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

Rotational speed has nothing to do with direction of travel.

I assumed that the "same rotational speed" implies
the same direction.

The reason I assumed that is this assertion by W7EL.
"This is the total current. It has magnitude and phase
like any other phasor, and the same rotational speed
as its components."

The total current, as graphed by Kraus and displayed
by EZNEC *DOES NOT* have the same rotational speed as
its components. It is obvious that Roy meant the
same direction when he said "same rotational speed".

I'm sure you're in a better position to know that than Roy is.

It's a matter of logic, Jim. We know that the forward
current and reflected current phasors are rotating in
opposite directions. Kraus and EZNEC say that the
phase angle of the current on a 1/2WL dipole changes
by only 2 degrees, end to end. Therefore, contrary to
what Roy asserted, the total current does NOT have the
same rotational speed as its components.

That was Roy's mistake in using total current to try
to measure phase shift through a coil. One cannot
use total current phase on a standing wave antenna
to determine any valid measurement concerning phase
shift through a coil. But since the phase information
is preserved in the total current amplitude, it can
be used to estimate phase shift through the coil.

Roy said, "What I measured was a 3.1% reduction in
magnitude from input to output, with no discernible
phase shift."

From this, for a base-loaded coil we can estimate the
phase shift through the coil to be

arccos(.969) = 14.3 degrees

With no discernible phase shift we can estimate that
there was no decrease in current from end to end for
either the forward current or reflected current.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com