Old April 28th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jgboyles@aol.com is offline

Default Impedance transformation question

On Apr 27, 5:54�pm, K7ITM wrote:
On Apr 27, 3:24 pm, wrote:

Hi,

* If EZNEC reports a source impedance for a balanced antenna, such as
a loop, of R+-jX ohms, and I am trying to match the antenna to the
line: *I am using a Smith Chart program that is unbalanced i.e.
everything is respect to ground. *Question is, what impedance do I
enter into the program such that I will get the correct matching
solution for the balanced antenna? *I have used this program numerous
times and it works well for verticals, mobiles, and other unbalanced
antennas. *Thanks.

Gary N4AST

The impedances will still be the same. *If you want to keep things
balanced, though, split any series elements into two equal parts. *For
example, if your program says to use 20pF in series, use 2 40pF caps,
one on each side, to keep things balanced. *With an inductance, use
two inductors that are half as large as the single one. *The idea is
the two caps in series or the two inductors in series make the
specified net capacitance or inductance. *With shunt elements, there's
no need to do that, just don't ground either side---the shunt elements
go across the balanced network from one side to the other.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom, Thanks, I just wanted to confirm what appeared to be
happening.

Gary N4AST