Old October 30th 03, 11:19 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

You are using a thermocouple which is sensitive to heat, the heat of
coil loss will inflate the reading. You have twice offered heat at
the bottom of the coils that correlate strongly with inflated current
values from a caloric sensor. You have no other thermocouple data
supporting the nature of the current distribution, just the isolated
section you find attractive. Put simply, your measurements have no
reference (readings from the entire length of the radiator).

The bottom meter is below the coil, so there is no heat heating up the
thermocoupled meter. If you insert the meters some distance away from the coil,
you would see the corresponding readings showing the difference between the top
and bottom. Arguments that heat or magnetic field affect the thermocouple RF
ammeters are just not realistic.

You went to some trouble to offer testimonial from reference sources
on the nature of that distribution, but you did not measure it confirm
your testing. Two readings in isolation do not prove you have 100mA
into the bottom when there is only one reading below the coil.

I did just rough test with one of my meters (has 8 A), flipping the coil and I
can see some deflection at the bottom and none at the top with 100 W into the
antenna. W9UCW et al did hundreds of measurements and showed just some
examples.

If you are not interested in obtaining those remaining readings of
that current distribution, then you have a poor case.

My "case" is to bring this to attention of those who are still "knowing" that
the current in loading coils is the same at both ends. If they doubt, they can
do their own measurements and see what it is, or show us where we are wrong.
Again, ON4UN in his Low Band DXing book has it right, ARRL Antenna Book has it
wrong and is perpetuating 50 year old misconception.

Just MEASURE or FEEL it!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri, K3BU/m