Old April 28th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Roger (K8RI) Roger (K8RI) is offline

Default Anyone still use packet radio?

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:01:59 -0700, Dick wrote:

On 2007-04-13, Dick wrote:

BIG SNIP

Dick,

I agree with all you have said above!

Some day, when ALL communications are via satellite, and nothing on
the ground can be destroyed by flood, fire, earthquake, tornados,
terrorist attacks, etc., then amateur radio will lose its value to the
country for backup emergency communications. Until then, people will
continue to depend upon amateur radio even when they don't realize it.

When/If all comms is via satellite, then that will give a target/one place
of insecurity in comms.

Exactly. Didn't China just show that it can shoot down satellites?
I'm sure the US and Russia can, and possibly the EU as well.

Yes, but it that happens we won't have to worry about communications.
We need to find a deep cave.

I think solar storms would prove to be a far greater danger to both
satellite invigilation and communications. Just one major X class
solar mass ejection pointed right at us and it's going to get mighty
quiet down here. The GPS signals have been interrupted a couple of
times and we weren't even in a direct path.