Old April 30th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default What happened to the SkyWave?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 02:15:49 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:11:55 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++On 29 Apr 2007 06:11:49 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
roups.com:
+++
+++On Apr 28, 9:47 pm, james wrote:
+++ Brian there is one thing you have said that is true. It is hard to
+++ defend what you don't have. Like Rhett Butler said to Chariolete,
+++ Frankly I don't give a dam what you really know and what you think you
+++ know.
+++
+++
+++Just remember that your derogatory comments started this exchange...
+++I assure you that if you continue in the future, I will defend myself
+++here on this forum. Enough said.
+++
+++
+++LOL!!! Where's that schematic, Brian?
+++
+++

*************

Actually it would be interesting to see a schematic. Just looking at
the evaluation schematic and his photos on Ebay it is not just a copy
of the evaluation board. So he had to put some thought behind it. At
least give him credit for that.

He hacked the design from a page I cited several years ago while
criticizing his earlier splatter-box. The only thought he had was how
he could get away with the theft of someone else's intellectual
property. His solution was to withhold the schematic. I guess he
didn't realize that his amp could be reverse-engineered... duh!!!

One thing is I am not going to pay
that price to see a schematic or reverse engineer it to see how it
works. Can do that from the specification.

Not for that price, for sure. But his latest hack? Yep! I'm going to
buy one and do a full -- and FAIR -- evaluation on my bench. I'm just
waiting for him to go into "full production".

The only thing that bothers me is this is based on an IC that has been
in production for at least 9 yrs. It cousin the SSM2165 has been
obsoleted by the SSM2167. From ADI webpage I wonder how long the
SSM2166 will remian in production?

I'm sure NTE will make replacements for ten times the original cost.

The 14 pin dip version is obsolete.
Also for the SSM2166 the status column puts a contact ADI. It should
be either not reccomended for new designs, obsolete or in production.
I wonder if AD is considering obsoleting the part?

Which is one reason why I avoid ASICs.