Old May 1st 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Rotational speed

K7ITM wrote:
More from my research (which is probably at an end at this point):

Bell, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits," calls a phasor a rotating
vector, period.

IEEE Standard Dictionary of Electrical and Electronic Terms has
entries for both non-rotating and rotating definintions.

Christiansen, "Electronic Engineers' Handbook," defines a phasor
clearly as a non-rotating quantity.

This has been educational. Clearly there are people in both camps.
I'm obviously in the non-rotating camp, and it seems to be one with a
high population. I'll be careful to ask when someone writes of
phasors and their definition is not clear from the context, at least
if the distinction between the two definitions matters in that case.

I still haven't had the time to post the quotes. But I did look over Van
Valkenburg carefully, and he very clearly describes the quantity
including exp(jwt) as a phasor, and a page or two later describes the
term without the time-varying term as a phasor. So he uses both
definitions -- but I can't find anywhere that he actually defines
exactly what a phasor is. I got that text because it's one of the most
widely used circuits texts. Pearson and Maler, I have left over from
college -- I took classes from both of them, and we know how that works.

I'm happy to call a phasor a rotating vector or, better yet, a
description of a rotating vector (the description consisting of phase
and amplitude). This way, I can have my rotation without needing to have
the phasor itself rotate. The important thing, as I see it, is to
realize that:

-- It results from a substitution of a complex time-varying quantity for
a real time-varying quantity;
-- The time-varying part of the complex quantity is not used in
calculations because it cancels; and
-- The fact that the complex quantity is time-varying is essential to
the method and solution.

but I guess it's up to the individual to decide whether he wants to
declare that time-varying part (exp(jwt)) to be part of the "phasor" or
something just attached to it.

Thanks, this has been stimulating and educational. I'll still try to get
those quotes down.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL