Old May 2nd 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] is offline

Default OK, where'd he get *that* from???

Weird.

I got a PSE QSL card direct in the mail today from a JA station. On the
back, it says "Please QSL for US county award. Thank you." - and
hand-written in is "ILL WINNEBAGO Co.".

Had to go back and double-check. I've only ever operated from
Winnebago County, Illinois from the mobile - but the QSO was on 20 meters
where I might have worked a JA from the car. But the log shows a mere
half-hour later, I worked two VE3s on 160 meters and then a bunch of DX on
80. I've never worked a DX station from the mobile on 80, nor have I ever
had a 160-meter antenna for the mobile. My home station is 650km from
Winnebago County, so obviously I didn't just go home & work them from the
base station!

But the QSO *does* check with my log; I *did* work this JA at the time
specified, on the band specified.

So where did he get the idea I was in Winnebago County?

Strange.

(I hope he'll still be happy. There's a lot fewer hams here in Cheatham
Co., Tennessee than there are in Winnebago County, Illinois, though
between myself and K4RO, Cheatham probably isn't any rarer!)