Old May 3rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
T-bone T-bone is offline

Default Is State of Michigan 800 digital trunk system encrypted?

"Bill Crocker" wrote in
news

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Subject says it all, almost. I'm getting conflicting info- some say no,
some say always has been, some say soon. I got an unexpectedly large
tax refund, and was considering blowing part of it on a 800 digital
trunk scanner, next time Rat Shack or one of the mail order places has
a sale. But if they are already encrypting, or soon plan to, I'll spend
the 400-500 or so on some other toy. (I already have several vanilla
scanners.)

aem sends....

Very, seldom is it encrypted. Some of the obvious agencies that are
dealing with very sensitive, life threatening situations do use
encryption on occasion, but not full time. I think there are a couple
counties in the entire state that use encryption full time, from what
I've heard.

I'm in S.E. lower Michigan, Tri-County area and most of it is in the
clear.

Bill

Is following the Detroit system still a major challenge ?