Old May 3rd 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
J. Mc Laughlin J. Mc Laughlin is offline

Default BS7H

Dear Wes:

I avoided mentioning the role of the DX operator in keeping things
orderly and productive. It is my observation that it takes a certain signal
to noise+QRM ratio to start to be effective. I also note that many CW
stations do not use break-in with the inevitable result of loosing track and
transmitting when they should wait.

It took me more than 50 years to arrive at HR. Longevity is a
significant asset in the DX game.

My noise level is so low today that I continue to be able to hear BS7H
even without a hint of moving the S meter. They are working hard to thin
out the pack.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. I encourage you to work on an antenna for 10.1 MHz.

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 May 2007 14:07:06 -0500, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

Hi Mac,

Only reasonable signals in Michigan on 20 meters from about 1130Z to

1400Z.
Can hear them on 10 MHz and even on 18 MHz, but much too weak to compete
with JA or EU.

I have no antennas for those bands, so it was pointless to listen.

Can hear them on 20 Meters most of the daylight hours, but they are too

weak
to work. It may be that the big guns have worked BS7H and time will

remain
for others. The first day, when things were not fully set up, the JAs

were
thinned out somewhat, to the exclusion of others.

The first day they were on 20, I could hear them at ESP level almost
all day. Sometimes LP & SP were about the same.

Circuit discipline has been poor. People were calling when they should

not
do so. I did so a few times when QRM got things confused.

Some of this is the fault of the DX op. It would be helpful for them
to announce listening freqs and what area they are listening for more
often. Also, calling for W's and answering a DS station causes real
problems.

The SSB op that I worked was excellent. He said he was looking for
W's from 14,204 to 14,210 and I worked him on 210. No need to clutter
50 KHz of the band.

I should add that if I get this card and VU7RG and any of the several
YU6's I worked ever QSL, I will qualify for DXCC Honor Roll. Only
took 49 years of casual DXing. [grin]

Wes