Old May 4th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default cutting square hole in plastic

Ed ) writes:

Try a hand "nibbler." They used to sell them at RS and other hand tool
outlets. I'll send you mine if you promise to send it back with a few
powerpoles.

Tom KD6EVM

Thanks, Tom. I'd take you up, but I already have a "nibler" tool...
used primarily for thin steel and aluminum chassis work. I am pretty sure
it would be risky to use on plastic and possibly crack it.

It depends on the plastic. I used a nibbler on a Radio Shack plastic
box, and it was fine. It likely will crack hard plastic, but a softer
one will be fine.

You don't need to use a hot iron, you can drill plastic.

"Dremel tools" and the like are good, using the cutoff wheels. The
problem is that the mechanical arrangement limits the usefulness. Though,
they now have attachments that puts the cutting wheel at 90 from the shaft
and that looks pretty good for this kind of work.

Plastic isn't really so different from metal. People used to drill a bunch
of small holes close together around the perimeter of the area they wanted
out, and then it was relatively easy to break down the space between them.
Then use a file to smooth it out.

Of course, that trick was used if you didn't have a hole punch. I suspect
those hole punches would work on plastic too, if you were lucky enough
to have one of the right size.

Michael VE2BVW