Old May 7th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default where to buy some chassis?

Ross, NS7F wrote:
I would like to build some tube transmitters and am curious where
other people get their chassis? Article 1 (The Novice Special, from
the arrl website) calls for LMB SQ-1 cabinet (8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 in)
which "comes complete with chassis and front panel".
Article 2 (A Three-Band One-Tube Novice Transmitter, from Dec '57 QST)
calls for a 2 x 7 x 13 in aluminum chassis enclosed in a 7 x 9 x 15 in
aluminum box.
Any suggestions?

Aluminum chassis are available ($10-$30 range depending on size) from
www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com, www.tubesandmore.com, etc.

Kitchen pans/baking trays can be surprisingly effective as well for a
lot less money.

A good hardware/welding store will have aluminum sheet and extrusions.
Home Depot etc. really suck in this area.

As far as full metal cabinets go, the above-named distributors will
have them by Hammond, Bud, etc., but you'll be shocked at the prices.
Recycled enclosures from other projects or picked up at hamfests are
quite affordable though.

McMaster-Carr has a lot of stuff, not discount prices, but excellent
selection and they ship to me overnight via UPS ground. They also have
a lot of plastics, tubes, etc. http://www.mcmaster-carr.com/

Tim KA0BTD