Old May 11th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB COLIN LAMB is offline

Default Ham bands only rigs, off-band operation?

I just checked the compliant CAP list of commercial HF gear. Neither
Collins, Drake, Icom, Ten-Tec or Kenwood had any amateur equipment that were
on the compliant list. The only ham rig I could find that was on the
complaint list was a special version of the 817, and then it had to be
operated under 5 watts and it was not compliant on vhf.

The use of a compliant list means that if you are using a non-compliant unit
and use elaborate equipment to monitor the frequency to the nerest tenth of
a Hz, you are still non-compliant. In short, there is nothing you can do to
make it compliant.

It is similar on Search and Rescue frequencies. Althoughamateur vhf
equipment can be modified to operate on Search and Rescue, it is not type
certified and therefore illegal. In our state, it is the local sheriff who
holds the license - so any violation reflects upon the sheriff. We do not
allow our local SAR members to operate modified ham gear on the SAR
frequencies.

Colin K7FM