Old May 11th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default MFJ window feed through / lightning

On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:35:41 -0400, "Bob D."
wrote:

I like the idea of the window feed through. In case of a lightning storm,
one could easily disconnect his antennas from the INSIDE. My question is
should one ground the feed-through plate at the window to a ground rod just
below the window?

I recently installed the MFJ feedthrough, and when bad weather
approaches, I disconnect the two dipoles and a j-pole from the
OUTSIDE. I hang the feedlines from a small tree outside the window. If
lightning hits, I figure it will find its way down the tree.

It hadn't occurred to me to disconnect from the inside, and bring the
lightning to my window sill. Yikes.

bob
k5qwg

First thought - Maybe this would help protect the house.

Second though - Maybe it would be better to let the coax float with the
tower, to avoid burning out the coax.

Third thought - With ground rods at both the tower and the entrance to the
house, could this create a noise inducing ground loop?

Is there any standard practice about this?