Old May 13th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck[_2_] Buck[_2_] is offline

Default Tuning an antenna

I have been reading the Inverted Vee thread about the differences in
receive and s/n.

My process of using the tuner is to find the highest noise level,
then, turn on the carrier and fine tune to the lowest SWR. Often I
find that the signal strength isn't as good as it was before tuning.

Assuming the SWR is acceptable when tuned to the best signal, even
though it is not at its lowest, would it be better to leave the tuner
at the best received signal and use the radio with a bit higher SWR?

I am talking about SWR below 2:1, (not 10:1) as measured by the meter
or radio at time of tuning. For me, acceptable SWR for my solid state
rigs is 1.7:1 as 1.8:1 often causes protective circuits to kick in and
reduce power.

Comments?

Buck
N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."