Old May 15th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
merlin-7 merlin-7 is offline

Default High noise level except when raining, why?

Just for laughs
Water the yard around your ground rods really good and see what
happens...includeing the ground rod to your electric meter...
Joe

"Runge1" wrote in message
Powerline noise, I confirm
Check those around you 1+/-mile around you
Then point your antenna towards the lines and you'll see the noise signal
going up.
Then pray for a lot of rain !

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

We have a rather high noise level around here on 160 thru 40 (I use an
MFJ-1026 to cut down on the noise and it works pretty well ... but, I
digress...).

During rainy weather, though, the noise level seems to go way down, from
S7+ down to S1 or S2.

Reading everything I've read about "precipitation static" and such, I
would have expected it to be the other way around.

What is it about general "noise" that makes it go way down during rainy
weather?

Antenna is a 160-meter inverted V up 50+ feet in the center and fed with
ladder line, but I see the same effect on my 17-foot-high coax-fed

dipole
for 75 and 40 meters.

Noise goes down so low that I'm thinking about setting up a sprinkler to
keep the antenna wet! :-)