Old May 15th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Kaliski Mike Kaliski is offline

Default Automatic Antenna Tuner

"Fred" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to match my TS-50 with an AT-50 to a random length wire of
about 50 to 60 ft. At this point 160 through 20 meters tune up fine
however, on 15 and 10 meters the tuner gives me a failure indication.
My question, is there a optimum wire length? even on a random lenght
antenna.
Thanks for any advice.
Fred
wb6iiq

Fred,
Many years ago I input all the frequencies and wavelengths into an Excel
spreadsheet to find a length of wire which would most closely be resonant on
all amateur bands. As I recall 26.5 metres seemed to be an optimum length
when fed via an ATU. It isn't resonant on any amateur band, but most ATU's
will be able to tune it. It worked for me anyway 160m through to 10m. As for
the performance, well it received well enough and obviously radiated enough
of a signal to work 5000+ miles QRP.
Mike G0ULI