Old May 18th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default About - Citizens' Band (CB) Radio

On May 18, 5:57 am, David wrote:
On 17 May 2007 07:44:43 -0700, bpnjensen wrote:

On May 16, 4:35 pm, D Peter Maus wrote:

Get a decent converation going, and you'll be surprised at how many
will participate.

Yeah :-)

Your mileage will vary, of course, but if you know how to apply it, a
decent CB rig can indeed be a lot of fun.

Peter, in your opinion, what would constitute a decent rig? I don't
have on just now, but In the old days, I always used off-the-shelf
Cobras and Pearce-Simpsons, usually with a (TUG8) D104 mike attached,
even while I lusted after Trams and Brownings. They always worked
well for me, but then what did I know? Base antennas were, variously,
1/4 wave GPs, a HyGain Penetrator (super antenna!) and a Wilson 6-
element beam (amazing antenna). Mobile antennas were either 1/4-wave
whips or HyGain "rabbit ears" on the gutters - also great antennas.

Bruce Jensen

The 102'' whip is 5/8 wave.-

David - check your math.

CB is 11 meters = ~ 433 inches. Take that whip, mount it on a 6" ball
& spring, and you get 1/4 wavelength.

(5/8 wave is up around 22' 4" - check out a typical 5/8 wave ground
plane, like a Penetrator or one of the old Avanti Sigma 5/8 (another
great antenna)).

Now, what the vehicle, acting as a ground plane, gives you, is
anyone's guess - but the radiator is 0.25 wave. I would not want a
22' whip swinging off my rear bumper!

Bruce Jensen