Old May 18th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Listening to many HF utility stations?

On May 18, 3:23 am, RedPenguin wrote:
I currently have a Sony ICF-7600GR, and was wondering, how you try to
hear activity on nets that are huge. I know on a shortwave radio that
you can basically only really hear one channel at a time and can't
scan like VHF/UHF but when I look at networks like the Mystic Star and
some other huge ones, it's like how do you see if any channel has
activity easily, when you have to basically type in each and every
frequency to the radio.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is not a scanner. It is a radio designed for
listening to world band broadcasts and ham transmissions. If you try
to listen to nets with this radio, you will be frustrated. That said,
the best way to check is to tune to the bottom of the frequency band
you wish to monitor and, while in the AM Mode "Norm," hold in the
inner tuning button [ + - ] and manually scan that band. There will
be no "chugging" or "muting" when scanning this way. You will then
hear any transmissions available at your location and you can then
stop and listen - only to one frequency at a time, however.

You asked how to check easily: there is no way with this radio. It is
not designed for that. For what you wish to do, you need a scanner. I
hope this is not the main reason you bought this one!

Best,

Joe