Old May 19th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
seaweedsteve seaweedsteve is offline

Default Wireless Internet service antenna, radiation

On May 18, 4:51 pm, Quaoar wrote:

Nice analysis! One point: the wireless signal is constant

It may be on all the time, but the radio only transmits for the moment
that it has to, no? You would have to be running a LOT of data
through to get constant transmission if I understand correctly. So,
imagine, "clickburstwait long timeburst waitburst burst. I think
if you could time it, it might not add up to that much time it's on.

And then a client adapter will typically be transmitting a lot less
than the AP as most internet usage is assymetrical.

Finally, in the case mentioned, they are putting a yagi or dish (very
directional antennas ) on the side of the house. It isn't even near
anybody. So, first of all, you will probably have to get up on a
ladder and stick your face in the antenna to catch any rays and then
it will only be a burst while your pc requests a page. And even then
it will be weak, like a cellphone.

As far as the signal from the ISP, well, that's all around you whether
you have an antenna or not. City folks are certainly bathed in a
constant barrage of microwave and other radio signals. Good thing
they are so weak.

Steve