Old May 20th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default (OT) Fluorescent Light Bulb Warning.

On May 18, 9:50 pm, wrote:
www.newswithviews.com

I don't like fluorescent light bulbs.From now on when I go to the food
store,I am going to start stocking up on good old G.E.Real Incandescent
Light Bulbs,the 60 Watters.I am going to clean off the top shelves in
the closets in my house and stack em up in cardboard boxes.When fed govt
starts shoving fluorescent light bulbs (so-called light bulbs) down
everybodys throats,I will still be wasteing my electricity that I pay
for on my good old G.E.Real Incandscent 60 WATT LIGHT BULBS.
cuhulin,the Electricity Waster dude.Waste Mo Electricity,you can't take
it with you

We have replaced most of our lightbulbs with CFLs. Only those few
bulbs controlled by a dimmer switch are still incandescents. New
Jersey had a program a couple of years back encouraging people to
switch to CFLs by offering them for $1.00 apiece, the rest being
subsidized by the state. I took advantage of that offer and bought
over 12 DOZEN of them, mostly the 15 Watt (60 Watt equivalent) CFLs
but also some 7 Watt (30 Watt equivalent) and 11 Watt (40 Watt
equivalent). The 7 and 11 Watt bulbs are enclosed so one does not see
the "twist." They are good in powder rooms.

All that said, I believe the future will NOT be CFLs. I would
recommend that young people here try a few to see if they like them,
but do not stock up on them. The reason I say this is because I
believe the future will be LED bulbs. These are far more efficient
than even the best CFLS and the LEDs will last from 4 to 10 times as
long, maybe even longer. Once the price comes down to a reasonable
level, I would see no reason for LEDs NOT to become the lighting
standard. (I'm older so I do not know if LEDs will become practical in
my lifetime.)

Have you tried any of the LED flashlights? I bought several from AES.
They sell a model for $9.99 that is machined from aluminum and runs on
3 AAA batteries: "HOUSE OF DEALS 9LED/3AAAFLSLT*" see this listed at:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/....y=11&go=GO%21

It's the third item down. I have to tell you this thing is BRIGHT! AND
it's made as well as any MagLight I own. These will give you something
of an idea as to what can be done with LEDs. If this can be
accomplished with flashlights, I can't wait until they achieve this
level of lighting quality with home LED light bulbs.

(I've even seen some LED flashlights in the "Dollar Tree" store. They
have only 3 LEDs and are not as bright or as well made as the AES
models, but for only a dollar ... )

And, yes, I know all these LED flashlights are, in fact, made in
China. Pity.

Best,

Joe