Old May 20th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jeff[_2_] Jeff[_2_] is offline

Default need advice on initial station setup

I need to figure out what the best antenna/ground setup is for my
first rig. I have been putting off setting it up because my
circumstances are fairly difficult. Basically, I need a decent
antenna setup, but can't put something up 40ft in the air. I don't
have any big trees nearby or any structures that high up to hang the
antenna on. Ideally I'd like a multi-freq antenna setup that is
either free-standing/not too tall or doesn't need to be up higher than
maybe 20ft or so. Also, I'm trying to figure out what to do about a
ground hookup. I'm renting a house and it's not obvious how extensive
a ground hookup I can make (i.e. I don't know if the landlord will
appreciate me burying several deep pipes in the backyard for a solid
ground reference). CAn anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.