Old May 20th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
labtech_one labtech_one is offline

Default Differences Between Two of the Same Radio

Everything made, no matter how hard we try will have small differences, no 2
resistors will have
exactly the same value, thats why they have a rating like 20%, 10%, 5%
tolerance they are within,
say 10% of the rated resistance ( a 100 ohm resistor may be 90 ohms or
110 ). With that in mind,
and the number of resistors in a radio, there can be 1,000's or millions of
combination. And every
component in the radio is the same way ( capacitors, transistors, wire,
coils, diodes, etc )

So no 2 radios will EVER be exactly alike, they will be ( like their
components) within 20% or 10%
of a rated 'projected' radio design. More expensive radios use closer
tolerence components so they
will have much closer performance, but cheap-o's using 20% tolerence parts,
you may be lucky if they
are even similar

"Cato" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here's a question that I have often wondered about....

Let's say you have two of the same radio model... two Sony
7600GRs, two Kaito KA1102s, Eton E5s, Icoms, Kenwoods, etc. or
whatever...

How likely is it that they will both have the very same
sensitivity, selectivity, scanning sensitivity, (both stopping on the
same stations during a scan etc.) etc.??

Or will one of the two always be a bit better then the other? Both
a bit different??

Cato