Old May 21st 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default (OT) Fluorescent Light Bulb Warning.

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...

Have you tried any of the LED flashlights? I bought several from AES.
They sell a model for $9.99 that is machined from aluminum and runs on
3 AAA batteries: "HOUSE OF DEALS 9LED/3AAAFLSLT*" see this listed at:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/....y=11&go=GO%21

It's the third item down. I have to tell you this thing is BRIGHT! AND
it's made as well as any MagLight I own. These will give you something
of an idea as to what can be done with LEDs. If this can be
accomplished with flashlights, I can't wait until they achieve this
level of lighting quality with home LED light bulbs.

(I've even seen some LED flashlights in the "Dollar Tree" store. They
have only 3 LEDs and are not as bright or as well made as the AES
models, but for only a dollar ... )

And, yes, I know all these LED flashlights are, in fact, made in
China. Pity.

I used to think the multi-LED flashlights were bright (and, indeed, compared
to a small incandescent flashlight, they are... but much more difuse). The
ones that are REALLY bright are the LuxeonŽ type LED lights. These are the
ones most likely to eventually make it into meaningful home lighting. I
have some 32 LED lamps that I use in various places. They are about the same
brightness level as the little 7 1/2 watt sign bulbs (but of course use less
than one watt). The Luxeon is many times brighter, and with just a single
light source. These are quite a bit more expensive for the higher power
ones, but the 1 watt and 3 watt versions are coming down in price rapidly.

Not mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-WATT-LUXEON-LE...mZ200111569581