Old May 22nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
w9gb w9gb is offline

Default TS870 Problem

Very expensive classic radio, to "tinker with".
I don't let my nephew (learning) touch my classic car --
but then again maybe it has no value to you - and you are have the money to
buy a TS2000.
http://www.g0sjh.com/Puttenham/hamra..._ts870_PIC.htm

Service manual
http://www.g0sjh.com/Puttenham/hamra..._ts870_PIC.htm

Give Clif a call at Avvid
http://www.avvid.com/

http://home.computer.net/~pritch/raspy.htm
http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/ts870s.html

"Jackson Lake" wrote in message
My Kenwood TS870 is drawing too much current. At 50W CW output it is
drawing
20A. If I go for 100W it just keeps going up and kills the supply at 25A.
Specs
say that it should take no more than 20A at 100W.

It has 2SC2879 finals. Is this a final problem? I don't have much test
equipment
or expertise but I suppose I could change the finals if I had to. Actually
50W
is quite adequate for me (only 3DB down) and I have been using it this way
for
quite some time with no noticeable differences in the quality of my
operation.
Still it bugs me as to what is causing this excess current.