Old May 22nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jackson Lake Jackson Lake is offline

Default TS870 Problem

"w9gb" wrote:

Very expensive

When I bought the TS870 in 1995 it was expensive, I think around US$2500. But I
doubt it is worth anything like that today.

classic radio, to "tinker with".

If the TS870 is a classic then I'm more ancient than I thought. My idea of a
classic radio has the name Collins, Johnson ect on it. Maybe even my old
Heathkit DX-20 qualifies.

I don't let my nephew (learning) touch my classic car --

I don't blame you not letting your nephew touch your classic car. But don't you
touch your classic car?

but then again maybe it has no value to you

The TS870's only value to me is in fun. And I think I have had as much fun
playing around inside it recently as I do using it.

and you are have the money to buy a TS2000.

Well I could buy a TS2000 but then I would be in the same position I am now
someday.

Service manual

I have the service manual.

Give Clif a call at Avvid

One thing I've never done is to have someone else fix my ham gear. If I can't
fix this I'll modify it. I've already figured a way to feed the TS870 VFO output
to feed a set of tube finals (tube stuff I can fix). Some would be appalled at
that idea. I call it hamming.

Thanks for your suggestions.