Old May 26th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junius Junius is offline
Senior Member

Default Sony AN-LP1 Shortwave Active Loop Antenna -vice- Sony AN-1 LW+MW+SW Active Whip Antenna

On May 25, 8:58 pm, "download.com" wrote:
Hmmm, yeah, the AN-1 is a less than inspiring performer. Never have
gotten much use out of mine.

I love my AN-1. I have used it for years, on my motor home, trailer that was
parked, and I have it up here in the Philippines and it has worked great for
me and my Grundigs (Sat 650,800 & YB400).

Burr

Well, glad that it's workin' well for you. I'm sure there can be
instances where the AN-1 might come in useful; that's why I've held on
to mine. In my listening, though, I've found that the AN-1's gain is
a bit lacking. In a parked RV (when there's no time to string up a
wire antenna), I've generally found better options. Rigging up
something from various bits and pieces can also provide desirable
results: compared to the AN-1, I can get far more kick by rigging up
something like an MFJ-1956 12-foot whip on 3/8" x 24 magnet mount fed
into an MFJ-1045C amplified preselector. Works fine with the
portables, too, since you can reduce (or turn off) the gain on the
'1045C as necessary to prevent overloading.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1956
http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html...es_page_3.html
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

The H-800 is a nice option, as well, if one isn't in for the constant
tuning of a preselector. While RVing, there are various options for a
getting a bit of height to the antenna when you're in a temporary
location. I've used the TS-88B tripod in conjunction with a telepole
from the Mast Company.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/s.nl/...=8&category=28
http://www.tmastco.com/TelepolePage.htm

After removing the upper adjustment clamp on the TS-88B, the bottom
segment of the 32 foot telepole can be fitted over the TS-88B. The
telepole can thereby sit extended upon the TS-88B, with the tripod
providing the required support for the pole. I've utilized this
configuration a number of times with pleasing results. When using this
set up with the H-800, I clamp the H-800 to the telepole on either the
third or fourth to highest segment (forget exactly which) using the
adjustable clamp provided with the H-800. Once an unexpected storm
came on at night, but this set up weathered it well, and even in the
winds that followed the storms departure, there was no toppling over
or any other unfortunate event, despite the fact that the arrangement
was not supported by any guy wires. I believe the antenna was about 25
feet or so up from the ground using this arrangement.

I've also used this tripod + telepole configuration to support light
wire antennas, like the Par EF-SWL. Again, with RV-listening, the
antenna can, for the sake of convenience, simply be put up by hooking
the Par transformer to a magnet mount atop the vehicle. This would
require an adapter or two: when I set up in this way, I use a 3/8"x24
male to SO-239 and a male-male PL-259 connector. The tripod-telepole
then provide height to the antenna from the outer end.

In any case, just some antenna stuff to throw out there for everyone.
I play around with these things from time to time, and although I'm
certainly no expert on antenna theory and that sort of thing, I
generally end up with something rigged up that can pull in some
interesting and unexpected stuff.

Best of listening to you out there, Burr.

Junius