Old May 26th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK[_2_] BDK[_2_] is offline

Default Last Call for Sony AN-LP1?

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote :
In article om, rhf-
says...
On May 25, 3:48 am, wrote:
On May 25, 3:05 am, wrote:

Discontinued.
Universal Radio sold out.
But lately Ebay seller named buyfromjapan is shipping them to USA in
less than a week, $89 + 15 shipping. If you click his 100% feedback,
then you will see all the happy loop buyers' praise!
e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-AN-LP1-Port..._W0QQitemZ1301...
It's very good.

If you don't have one; check it out . ..
Wasa Up !

For Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) the Sony AN-LP1
Active {Shortwave Only} Antenna works very well with
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio as
a "Travel Kit" for the Hotel Room, RV'ing or Camping
when you are On-the-Road :
.
Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
.
Sony AN-LP1 Active {Shortwave Only} Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html

imho - both are worth the money
and together they are great ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I've had two of them, one died, the other one I sold. I thought the
first one had a problem, so I stupidly bought another one. It wasn't any
better.

Not much good except as a noise magnet, [...]

I don't totaly agree with you about this... OK, a good external antenna
will (can) be much better than the ANLP1. BUT, as a traveling antenna it
is a fair buy ! You cannot always strung an external wire in an hotel ;-).

At home I'm using an external wire antenna with both a Sangean 909 and a
Sony SW100 (no tabletop...). This antenna usualy gives better results
than the AN-LP1... but sometime I uses the Sony antenna to get read of
the noise. It really depends on your local conditions.

My 2 cents...

Charly

I guess my real point was any antenna of any size will be better than an
active one, at least the 3 or so I have had over the years. I know
someone who lives in a condo, and they have 2 outside antennas that are
nearly invisible. They have to be replaced every two years or so, but it
takes 15 minutes to do it. A neighbor allows him to put the other end of
some very thin wires to his chimney, and the condo assoc. never saw them
until last year. They actually were sane and said they didn't care!

Before those outside antennas were put up, he used a hunk of wire out on
his porch, and some active antenna, can't remember what the brand was,
that he bought in the UK on vacation about 15 years ago.

BDK