Old May 29th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jack Schmidling Jack Schmidling is offline

Default A Homebrewer's Blog

wrote:
I have started a blog on homebrewing at straightkey.blogspot.com. The
first post discusses setting up a Homebrew lab.
I would love to have everybody's comments.

Here's mine but you probably won't like them.

What is the point of a blog? What does it do but detract from this
group? I went there, read your interesting dissertation and would have
commented but for having to sign up and putz with a web based format
that is much less convenient than usenet or even yahoo.

Furthermore, unless you know some magic, you will never get more than a
hand full participants.

I concur will all you said and find that the most interesting aspect of
my renaissance in ham radio is being able to afford to buy real test
equipment. Everything I did in my first life was with a barely usable
multimeter, light bulbs on links and pencils for drawing arcs on RF nodes.

One thing that took me by surprise was the change in solder to the
extent that I could hardly perform this most necessary craft when I ran
out of 50 year old solder and bought a new roll.

It seems that Ralph Nader has barfed up this craft also. After finding
a roll of real solder with tin and lead, things got a lot better. It
still does not tin as neatly as the old stuff and most importantly, does
not have that good old aroma that I recall from childhood.

I presume that what ever the current flux is, it just does not work or
smell like rosin.

Any thoughts?

Jack K9ACT

--