Old May 30th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default Determining Total Gain of an Antenna

Matt Brenenman wrote:
"When I think of how a field induces a voltage, I think of voltage as
being proportional to norm of the field."

OK. Terman wrote on page 2 of his 1955 opus:
"The strength of the wave measures in terms of microvolts per meter of
stress in space is also exactly the same voltage that the magnetic flux
of the wave induces in a conductor 1 m long when sweeping across this
conductor with the velocity of light."

Since Matt mentions circular polarization, one of the problems on page
50 in Kraus` 3rd edition of "Antennas" is notable. It states:
"1-16-2 More power in C.P. Show that the average Poynting vector of a
circularly polarized wave is twice that of a linearly polarized wave if
the maximum electric field E is the same for both waves. This means that
the medium can handle twice as much power before breakdown with circular
polarization (CP) than with linear polarization (LP)."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI