Old May 30th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Short antennas - info

"Virgil Smith" wrote in message
. ..
Does anybody have a recommendation for a good book or journal article on
very short antennas? I'm trying to design the front end for a LF/VLF
receiver and would really like to know the equivalent circuit for
antennas ( both E-probe and loop ) a tenth of a wavelength or less.

I've Googled around and looked at a couple of lowfer web sites. Lots of
cookbook stuff and some approximate formulas for radiation resistance,
etc. but I haven't seen a real definitive treatment of this subject.

What about the oldie-but-goodie book by Kraus? Is that worth investing
in, or is there anything newer or better?

Thanks for any info.

-vs-

It seems to me the parameters you consider important would be very site
specific and a rx front-end optimised for a particular antenna may have to
be designed after taking empirical measurements for a specific antenna.
Otherwise IMO the cookbook information would probably be sufficent.

I am curious as to what you would consider a definitive treatment of the
subject as it pertains to rx front-end design.

Jimmie