Old May 30th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default Determining Total Gain of an Antenna

On 30 May, 11:15, Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Harrison wrote:
If the questioner draws his information from Terman and Kraus, he won`t
err.

Don't forget Balanis who said: "Standing wave antennas,
such as the dipole, can be analyzed as traveling wave
antennas with waves propagating in opposite directions
(forward and backward) ..."

To answer the original questioner: Consider the forward
and backward traveling waves separately and phasor add
the two voltages or two currents to obtain the net
voltage or net current. For an ordinary dipole, the
forward voltage and forward current amplitudes decline
by ~5% during the forward trip from the feedpoint to the
tip of the antenna. There they are reflected and suffer
another ~5% decline on their way back to the feedpoint.
The feedpoint impedance is a result of the superposition
of the forward and reflected waves on the standing-wave
antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil,
I am questioning the bundling of radiation with respect to
Poyntings vector and the polarization of the far fields.
Ofcourse any mathematical analysis must start with the
application of current and resulting movement of flux ala
Pointings vector. However I have yet to see an explanation
how this mathematical function is impacted upon by the
polarisation desired. Even if this is a misinterpretation
of what is in the books the poster is at least entitled
to a explanation of the effect of circular polarization
and how this impinges on Poyntings vector in a mathematical
sense. How else can we attract newbies to the hobby?
Ofcourse Cecil you also have muddled up things by introducing
your favorite subject but I suspect you did that because of
that rebel approach as opposed to confusing the poster(grin)
Regards
Art