Old May 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
kony kony is offline

Default motherboard LED connectors and posts?

On 30 May 2007 10:35:47 -0700, Mad Scientist Jr
wrote:

Does anyone know where you can order motherboard LED type connectors
and posts like these

http://estore.asus.com/images/14-000014000.JPG
http://www.pctechguide.com/images/tu...DConnector.gif
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/wircon7b.jpg
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=628
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/CompG...essorycons.jpg
http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/285/install03.jpg

Preferably at a good price, as I am looking to buy a bunch (a couple
hundred).

I have seen 2 or 3 pin connectors are pretty common on motherboards,
but I am mainly looking for one-pin connectors, if available.

I would imagine the posts may just come in strips of wire that you
would cut yourself?

Much appreciated...

Male pin headers and female socket connectors with 0.1" pin
spacing. Also socket contacts (inserts) are often sold
separate from the socket itself.

They can be very expensive from electronics supply houses,
ridiculously so for the female connector and insert.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...342-ND&Site=US
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...301-ND&Site=US

What exactly are you looking for? Straight plastic sockets
with 0.1" pin spacing but do they have to be the very thin
(black in your links) type such that on a row of pins in a
pin header, you could plug in two right next to each other,
OR could the plastic connector body be larger like those
used on fans? The point is that if looking for an
especially low price, one option is surplus electronics
'sites which may have something that would work (or may not)
depending on the requirements beyond the basic # of pins,
spacing and pin size.

You might find them called something else, generically
grouped as just "connectors" or slightly more like "pin
connectors" at a store/site that doesn't deal with as many
connectors and just doesn't follow standard naming
practices.

You might check the following surplus sites (and ebay).
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/
http://www.bgmicro.com/
http://www.allelectronics.com/
http://www.mpja.com/