Old May 31st 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick Dick is offline

Default Narrow Band FM bandwidth and channel spacing

On Thu, 31 May 2007 01:52:03 -0400, "Bob D."
wrote:

What is the bandwidth of standard narrow band FM as we use it on 2 meters?
Is there a rule of thumb based on deviation? (I don't want to get into the
heavy math, I just know it's more complex than AM or SSB.)

As an old timer, I remember 2 meter amateur FM started out with 30 KHz
channel spacing. Then, it went to 15 KHz. Then some deviants went to 12.5
KHz. New rigs have 5 KHz tuning. Is there an official channel spacing?

There is no specific requirement in the rules other than we must use
good engineering practice. 97.101 (a). For FM, 6 kHz ( 3 kHz in each
sideband) is needed. I.E. Don't use more than you need, and if you
do, other hams will quickly let you know about it.

Dick - W6CCD