Old May 31st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.basics,alt.music.makers.electronic,rec.music.makers.guitar,sci.electronics.misc
Jack Pagel Jack Pagel is offline

Default radio shielding?

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:05:24 -0700, Mad Scientist Jr wrote:

Did you use shielded wire to connect the controls and jacks?

Thanks for your reply...

No, just normal stranded wire. Is that where the most interference
would be leaking in?

You might want to rewire it with shielded, won't take that long and would
eliminate that as a possibility. I built a 50 watt push pull tube guitar
amp back in my teens 1970's and had to go back and replace some front end
circuits with shielded because of hum. No radio stations but I didn't live
close to one like you might.

I live a mile away from an AM radio station. Usually it doesn't get into
the amps, but there are/were some amps that we could hear the AM radio
station coming thru. A quick way to eliminate that is to wind a coil
with the guitar cord very close to the plug that goes into the amp. Make
the coil small diameter, 2 or 3 inches. That will choke the signal from
entering the amp. It see's the guitar cord as a long wire antenna. How
many turns? Start with 5 or 6, if that doesn't work try a couple more turns.
Hope this may be of some help.
Jack
Fender Santa Maria
Gibson SG