Old June 1st 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
brad brad is offline

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

"labtech_one" wrote in message

yeah, I've already 'heard' about that one, they were down for 4 or 5
hours,
hardly a big deal.

Not at all- especially if you need medical aid.

Usually when they are going to be out longer than that,
they bring in portable cell sites ( generator powered ), and can cover the
majority of the effected area.

Good point- You should invest in one of those to pull behind your fiero.

Don't think it really hurt anyone to wait for the few hours to call
relatives,
and tell them they were OK.

Who cares about those calls? Emergency communications dude- reporting
critical ****. Telling mom you are alive is not emergency comms.

As it is now,
90+% of hams BUY a radio, take it out of the box, and if it needs service,
they take it to the service tech.

Fine by me.

But like I posted earlier, its like the mail service ..... its outdated.

No doubt- but it still has a role- especially when all the non-outdated
equipment fails when the **** hits the fan.