Old June 1st 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Sony 7600GR External Antenna Jack, Needs to be settled, Can it be shorted out to the point that it destroys the radio.

junius ) writes:
On Jun 1, 1:45 am, "Adam" wrote:
If you use a random wire in the Sony 7600GR radio and accidently short it,
can it destory the radio and/or cause damage or is it protected?

In the manual it says it has DC power but on at least two websites, it
supposely only has a "sense power" to turn antennas off and on.

I called sony customer support and they claim the jack doesn't have any DC
power in it, that it is only reception. This was said by two different
agents, but when I emailed them, they keep talking about the headphone jack
for some reason.

Will someone please settle this for me, it's like some are saying it can
short and at the same time, some are saying it can't at all. I just want to
have this darn thing settled.

Thanks in advanced.

I guess this touches to the issue of Sony putting a DC voltage to the
antenna jacks to power the AN-LP series of antennas.

The antenna jack on the ICF-SW07 does incorporate a DC voltage to
power the supplied AN-LP2 antenna. The instruction manual accordingly
warns:

"Do not connect any other antennas other than the recommended active
antennas to the AM EXT ANT jack of the unit, as the jack supplies DC
voltage to power the recommended active antennas."

An obvious solution, though perhaps too late for the original poster,
would be to put a ceramic capacitor in series between the connector
and the wire, just in case. Something like .001uF or maybe .01uF. It
won't hurt.

Michael