Old June 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cato Cato is offline

Default Handheld Shortwave Portable, no SSB needed, which is the best?

On Jun 2, 6:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Others to consider might be the Kaito KA105 / Degen DE105. Or the
Kaito KA11 / Degen DE11. Both are totally digital. No analog tuning,
and have memories.
I tnink they are quite a bit better
then the Grundig Mini 300PE. The analog tuning on the Grundig is very,
very touchy and does not lock in at all.
Check the reviews of these little radios at ...
http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm
I bought one of each from eBay dealers in the far east. Delivery
was just a touch slow, but not too bad. Although of course they don't
perform like my larger radios, I do like them for their portability.
Cato