Old June 3rd 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RedPenguin RedPenguin is offline

Default Handheld Shortwave Portable, no SSB needed, which is the best?

On Jun 3, 3:37 am, RedPenguin wrote:
On Jun 3, 1:57 am, "Al Dalton" wrote:

I love my G5. I am glad I bought it. For the money (about $150) it's top
notch. It has SSB.

Al

"Mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

I might also recommend a Kaito 1102 / Degen 1102. Very sensitive, very
small, digital, memories and SSB. The Passport reviews pretty much
explain that they think this is the best of Chinese mini-portables.
(Personally, I think the DE 1103 / Eton E5 / Grundig G5 is a better
radio, but at a higher price)

Mike

On Jun 2, 6:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:

I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Yeah, see I like the features of those radios, but so far it looks
like really only the Grundig 300 is the size I need. See I want to go
for walks and take a shortwave radio with me. I have the Sony
ICF-7600GR, that I use right now but it's not really a "walk radio"
that I want to have. That's really what I am looking for. I will be
looking through those radios you guys/gals recommended, then I will
see what decision I can make.

Think the Kaito 1102 would be decent to go with for my walkman type or
should I go with the G5? The G5 looks like it's the same size as my
Sony ICF-7600GR, but maybe I am wrong. I want a powerful radio but not
a powerful size.