Old June 4th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Benko Larry Benko is offline

Default Trying to find out what Ferrite material this is.

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I agree that a 259B does not make a good general purpose instrument for
measuring inductor values over the HF range. In fact, there are very few
instruments which are. One of the few I know of is the HP 4191A vector
impedance meter, but it's not likely to be found in many amateur
workshops. Making good impedance measurements at HF is often very much
more difficult than most people realize.

Look at the L/C meter from AADE (Almost All Digital Electronics)
www.aade.com which a 1 hour kit for $99. It is quite accurate and uses
a variable frequency oscillator so that smaller values of inductance and
capacitance are measures at higher frequencies. I own an 8753 HP
Network Analyzer and still use the L/C meter most of the time since it
is so convenient. It easily can tell the differences between
73/43/31/61 materials. I usually wrap 2 turns thru the torroid to do the
measurement.

73,
Larry, W0QE